When we rescue our old Scalextric track from oblivion, we usually find some problems, if we were not careful enough to have it kept in the best conditions.
Humidity is one of the worst enemies of the Scalextric tracks, especially the metal of the rails, because if they are not stored properly, they tend to rust.
If this has happened to you, we will offer you several solutions so that your tracks will look almost like the first day. Rust will not be a problem anymore.
Solutions to remove rust from Scalextric tracks
The first solution has already been mentioned in a previous article. Carry out a complete restoration of the tracks and then cover the rails with copper tape so that they do not rust again.
If the rails are the only things damaged (and not at an alarming level), we recommend the following 3-step-procedure:
Application of “Peco” Rubber
The first step is to purchase a “Peco Rail Cleaner” rubber, which is used directly on the rail like an eraser.
It is similar to the well-known Goma Roco but as it is narrower and easier to apply by hand.
Cleaning of rust residues
The next step is to clean any rust and Peco rubber that may have been left on the track, first by shaking the track a little and secondly with a cloth soaked in alcohol.
Passing fine sandpaper
Finally, we will apply several passes with fine sandpaper and clean the remains again. The result will be quite good and it does not require too much effort to achieve it.
- Sandpaper Material: Silicon carbide; Electro coated ,Good toughness, good polishing effect, High efficiency, long service life Choose high quality natural abrasive.Using micro-replication technology, micron-sized silicon carbide is wrapped in tiny pyramids. As the pyramid wears, the newly formed sharp sand will be exposed.
- Package Included: 75 pieces sandpaper in grit 120/180/220/240/320/400/600/800/1000/1200/1500/2000/2500/3000/5000，5 packs for each grit.
- Premium Quality: Compared with the traditional sandpaper using alumina dyeing layer as the abrasive, the gaps between the metal particles are irregular. Our new silicon carbide sandpaper can be sanded smoothly with moderate force, and will not scatter, tear or break during use Cracking, efficiency and service life increased by 40%.
- Wet and Dry: These sandpapers are made of silicon carbide, and the nano-sand technology makes the particle surface very fine and uniform, and can be used with water, varnish, shellac, varnish or oil.
- Wide Application: High-grit sandpaper is very suitable for easy polishing and fine grinding of metal, glass, plastic, stone, jade, leather, lacquered wood and wood for smooth and silky texture polishing, widely used in automotive sanding, wooden furniture Surface treatment, wood turning surface treatment, metal surface treatment, etc.
Here you can watch a video of the Slot, Pixels & Bugs Youtube channel in which the entire process is shown, successfully removing several rusty areas of a Scalextric track.
Last updated on 2021-04-21 / Affiliate Links / API Images for Affiliates